Indianapolis councilor faces threats amid string of swatting calls

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Indianapolis City-County Councilor Nick Roberts, a Democrat, said he’s received bombing and swatting threats similar to what several state lawmakers have faced in recent days. 

As News 8 previously reported, at least seven Indiana state senators have been threatened or had officers show up to their homes in targeted swatting incidents, where someone makes a false emergency report to evoke a large response from law enforcement. 

Swatting gets its name from previous successful attempts to get Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams to breach homes during hoax calls, which have proven to be deadly in some cases. 

“While it is unclear exactly why I was targeted, these came shortly after I made posts on social media condemning the threats against some of the Indiana State Senators,” Roberts said in a statement. 

Roberts told News 8 both the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department and Indiana State Police are investigating the threats, which occurred on Nov. 20. He declined to share examples to protect the integrity of the investigation. 

The recent string of threats against lawmakers has included at least seven state senators in the fallout of the Indiana Senate’s decision to delay redistricting talks until January. No injuries have been reported.

Gov. Mike Braun, who’s been a vocal advocate for redistricting, said law enforcement is working “around the clock” to identify the people targeting officials. 

“These threats to lawmakers, including those received by me and my family in recent days, need to stop,” Braun posted on social media. “If you threaten or attempt to carry out acts of violence against Indiana’s elected officials, we WILL bring you to justice.”

Hoax calls that lead to SWAT callouts could potentially lead to up to two and a half years in prison under a new Indiana law that took effect this year. 

FULL STATEMENT FROM NICK ROBERTS

Yesterday, I received multiple threats about bombings and a swatting attempt. While it is unclear exactly why I was targeted, these came shortly after I made posts on social media condemning the threats against some of the Indiana State Senators. Most importantly, thankfully, my family and I are safe and no incident occurred.

I greatly appreciate the Indiana State Police and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department for their alertness during this scary situation and taking these threats very seriously. Though I cannot provide more details at this time due to ongoing investigations, I want to condemn these criminal acts and again call publicly for an end to political violent rhetoric from the top down.

Debate and disagreement are the foundation of a healthy democracy. In our politics, we must be able to disagree without resorting to violence and threats.

Nick Roberts, Indianapolis City-County Council (D)

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *