More than $80,000 stolen in Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes scam

More than $80,000 stolen in Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes scam

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Good news and peace of mind occurred for the victims of the Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes scam in Randolph County. Thousands of dollars were stolen from people who paid in advance for funeral arrangements.

The Indiana Funeral Directors Association (IFDA) said victims are set to get that money back.

Andy Clayton, executive director of the Indiana Funeral Directors Association, said, “They are not going to lose anything. They will receive the services they pay for. All we ask them to do is prove that they did pay that in advanced, and [provide] just a canceled check and a contract from Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes. That will satisfy the State Board of Funeral and Cemetery Service.”

Relief. That’s what Clayton said when victims heard the news. So far, he said he’s tallied $80,000 in losses so far, and that number is climbing. For now, he’s received 23 calls from families who said they poured savings into a trust fund from Wilson-Shook Funeral homes, only to discover that the fund never existed and that the money is gone.

“All the families want is peace of mind, and that’s essentially what they purchased when they did the prearrangement,” Clayton said. “It’s the peace of mind that it will be done. And honestly, above the money, it’s the sacred trust that’s been violated. And we’re in a position, as members of the association, to restore that trust and assure them that at the time of their passing, their family won’t have undue burden upon them.”

The State Board of Funeral and Cemetery Service consumer protection fund will issue the refunds.

The Randolph County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the scam under Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes and their four locations: Thornburg Memorial Chapel, Thomas Memorial Chapel, Fraze and Brooks Memorial Chapel, and Dunkirk Memorial Chapel.

“We’re doing everything in our power at the sheriff’s office to investigate the case, we’re getting it to the prosecutor and he’s waiting on them as we speak,” said Chief Deputy Ken Hendrickson.

The Randolph County Sheriff’s Office has been fielding more than 30 calls since we first aired our story Thursday.

“You think you’re making arrangements, and to find out your money has not been put where it’s supposed to, they’re very upset,” Hendrickson said.

The Randolph County Sheriff’s Office recommends victims call the Indiana Funeral Directors Association at 317-846-2448. They can verify if you have a trust in your name and walk you through the reimbursement process.

All four phone lines at Wilson-Shook Funeral Homes have been disconnected.

The Randolph County Sheriff’s Office and the Indiana Funeral Directors Association haven’t heard back. Clayton says he’s been trying to get ahold of the owner, Wilson.

“He has left the state, as we’ve been told,” Clayton said.

At least for now, it’s good news for the families.

This is an ongoing investigation. The Randolph County Prosecutor’s Office will be meeting with the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office and the Indiana Funeral Directors Association early next week.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *