Indy News

Westfield mayor: Property tax changes already forcing cuts

Westfield mayor describes property tax law impact

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Westfield Mayor Scott Willis said even preemptive spending cuts aren’t enough to stave off the long-term impacts of the state’s new property tax law.

In an interview with News 8 for All INdiana Politics, Willis said his city’s 2026 budget, enacted last month, already makes cuts to every city department except police and fire. For now, he said the city’s rapid growth will help it stay ahead of reductions in property tax revenue. By 2028, however, he said his budget analysts estimate a net loss of revenue of $12.5 million. So far, he said estimates of the property tax’s impact have been accurate.

Willis said the city already plans to open two new fire stations over the next couple of years, each of which carries $5 million in annual fixed costs. He said that means the city already will have to spend an additional $10 million by 2028 against that loss of revenue.

“We’ve talked about stopping future growth projects, road infrastructure in particular,” Willis said. “We’ve got several roundabouts planned and street widenings planned in our city. We have a $180 million comprehensive plan over the next 7-8 years. We’re scaling that back. Those are things we can proactively do. We’re going to have to maybe cut staff as well if we fall off of that cliff. $12.5 million can’t all come from future projects.”

Willis said the changes to the state’s property tax law already cost his city a chance at a AAA bond rating because credit rating agencies are worried about the reduction in property tax revenue could impair cities’ ability to make bond payments on time. He said this means the city won’t be able to borrow money at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers, though he added Westfield likely will be able to achieve a AAA bond rating next year. He said his city will have to raise its local income tax rate to offset those losses, and he expects many other cities in Indiana to do the same.

All INdiana Politics airs at 9:30 a.m. Sunday on WISH-TV.

Supreme Court won’t immediately let Trump administration fire copyright office head

The Supreme Court bars Trump firing Library Congress staffer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court won’t immediately allow the Trump administration to fire the director of the U.S. Copyright Office, instead delaying a decision until after they rule in two other high-profile firing cases.

The justices’ Wednesday order leaves in effect for now lower court rulings that held that the official, Shira Perlmutter, could not be unilaterally fired.

The case is the latest that relates to Trump’s authority to install his own people at the head of federal agencies. The Supreme Court has largely allowed Trump to fire officials, even as court challenges proceed.

Justice Clarence Thomas said he would have allowed Perlmutter to be fired as her lawsuit proceeds. The court majority, though, decided to wait to make a decision until after they rule in two other lawsuits over Trump firings.

Arguments are set for December in the first case, over the removal of Rebecca Slaughter as a member of the Federal Trade Commission.

And in January the court will hear the case of Federal Reserve governor Lisa Cook, who remains in her job despite Trump’s attempt to fire her.

Rulings are expected weeks or months after the court hears arguments.

Perlmutter’s case concerns an office that is within the Library of Congress. She is the register of copyrights and also advises Congress on copyright issues.

Despite the ties to Congress, the register “wields executive power” in regulating copyrights, Solicitor General D. John Sauer told the court.

Perlmutter claims Trump fired her in May because he disapproved of advice she gave to Congress in a report related to artificial intelligence. Perlmutter had received an email from the White House notifying her that “your position as the Register of Copyrights and Director at the U.S. Copyright Office is terminated effective immediately,” her office said.

A divided appellate panel ruled that Perlmutter could keep her job while the case moves forward.

Perlmutter’s attorneys have argued that she is a renowned copyright expert. She has served as register of copyrights since then-Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden appointed her to the job in October 2020.

Trump appointed Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche to replace Hayden at the Library of Congress. The White House fired Hayden amid criticism from conservatives that she was advancing a “woke” agenda.

Cold Thanksgiving Day, tracking weekend system with snow accumulation potential | Nov. 26, 2025

Nov. 26 | Evening Forecast with Chief Meteorologist Keith Gibson

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — We’re gearing up for our coldest Thanksgiving Day in over a decade. Then, we’ll track a system that looks to bring snow accumulation potential this weekend.

Wednesday night: Cold and breezy with decreasing clouds. Lows in the mid 20s.

Thanksgiving Day: Cold and breezy with some sunshine. Highs in the mid 30s with feels like temps in the teens to 20s.

Black Friday: We hang onto the cold air through Friday with highs in the low to mid 30s. Feels like temps to be in the teens to 20s.

7-Day Forecast: The final weekend of November will be characterized by more active weather with snow accumulation potential. Details are still murky to an extent, but are gradually becoming more clear one step at a time. We look to start off with snow into Saturday afternoon before at least some of the state switches to rain. How much of the state switches to rain and how fast it does it is still uncertain.

Nonetheless, we do have enough confidence to give out an early snowfall forecast map. Right now, areas near and north of I-70 could see up to 1-3″ of snow, and this may be more of a sloppy type of snow accumulation. The higher end of that range looks to be to our north. Higher odds of 3″+ currently reside in northern Indiana. This will impact travel to a degree, and keep checking back into the forecast as we get closer. Do expect some changes to the map.

There could be some additional backside snow showers into Sunday afternoon with breezy winds.

Person critically injured in shooting on Kildare Avenue

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A person was critically injured in a shooting on the city’s east side Wednesday, according to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

Around 1:38 p.m. Wednesday, IMPD officers responded to a report of a person shot in the 2000 block of Kildare Avenue. That is a residential area on the city’s east side. Officers arrived and found a person with gunshot wounds.

The person was reported to be in critical condition.

Investigators did not immediately provide any additional information on this incident.

Crime Resources

Two National Guard members shot in Washington, D.C., and their condition isn’t known, AP source says

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two National Guard soldiers were shot Wednesday near the White House and their conditions aren’t immediately known, according to two law enforcement officials not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and who spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

Emergency vehicles were seen responding to the area and at least one helicopter landed on the National Mall.

The Joint DC Task Force confirmed they were responding to an incident in the vicinity of the White House in the movements after reports of the shooting. However, the spokesperson wouldn’t immediately confirm or deny if any National Guard members had been shot.

The Metropolitan Police Department said they were responding to a shooting but didn’t immediately provide more information.

A spokesperson for Mayor Muriel Bowser said that local leaders were actively monitoring the situation.

President Donald Trump was at his West Palm Beach golf course when the shooting took place.

“The White House is aware and actively monitoring this tragic situation. The President has been briefed,” said White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt.

Hundreds of National Guard members from the district and several states have been patrolling the nation’s capital after President Donald Trump in August issued an emergency order in the capital, federalizing the local police force and sending in the guard from eight states and the District of Columbia.

Indianapolis ‘pimp’ to serve 3 life sentences for operating violent human trafficking ring

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A federal judge in September handed down three life sentences to an Indianapolis man found guilty of operating a “violent human trafficking enterprise.”

Kristopher McDonald, 37, was convicted in May on several charges:

  • 2 counts of sex trafficking by force, fraud, or coercion.
  • 2 counts of travel act, a federal crime to engage in interstate or international travel, for the purpose of furthering certain “unlawful activities.”
  • Murder in aid of racketeering activity.
  • Brandishing and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence.
  • Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
  • Enticing an individual to travel in interstate commerce to engage in prostitution.

Prosecutors say from June 2023 through April 2024, McDonald recruited and exploited women for commercial sex in Indianapolis and other states. McDonald also used force, fraud, and coercion to control the activities of the women, limiting their access to the outside world and threatening them with physical violence.

McDonald also murdered a man at a hotel who “engaged in commercial sex with one of the victims.” McDonald came into the room, holding the man at gunpoint and demanding $200.

The man fired his own gun in self-defense, striking McDonald – but McDonald retreated, loaded his weapon, and shot the man 11 times in the back.

Tom Wheeler, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, said in a release on McDonald’s sentencing that his “reign of terror is over.”

“Kristopher McDonald’s reign of terror is over, and our community is safer because of it. This sentence sends a clear message that those who exploit vulnerable individuals through violence, addiction, and fear will face the full force of federal justice,” he said.

Online court documents show McDonald will serve his life sentences in a Texas facility, but it was unclear which one.

Thanksgiving travel tips: Leave early, expect delays on the roads

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — If you plan on hitting the roadways for Thanksgiving, make sure you pack you patience.

According to AAA, at least 73 million people will travel by car during the holiday period across the country, including almost 2 million here in Indiana. 

AAA says drivers make up nearly 90% of Thanksgiving travelers through the travel span from Tuesday Nov. 24 through Monday, Dec. 1.

 Beginning at noon on Wednesday, INDOT will lift existing road closures and restrictions on state highways, U.S. routes and interstates where it is safe to do so. Longer-term closures for ongoing construction projects will remain in place. 

“Motorists should be aware of increased traffic and potential delays early this week,” said INDOT Commissioner Lyndsay Quist. “We encourage drivers to leave early, practice patience, and allow extra travel time throughout the holiday season. We want everyone to make it to their destination safely.”

If you’re hitting the road, you can also visit 511in.org or download the TrafficWise app on your mobile device to see current closures and restrictions, view traffic cameras, and plan your route.  

INDOT construction and maintenance activities will resume Monday morning, Dec. 1.

IFD: No serious injuries after deck collapses under 2 adults in wheelchairs

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Indianapolis firefighters say no one was seriously hurt after a back deck collapsed, trapping two wheelchair-bound people in the rubble.

The call for help in the 1100 block of Newman Street came in around 1:37 p.m. Tuesday.

The Indianapolis Fire Department says when they arrived, they located the two adults and their wheelchairs stuck in the deck after the wood gave out from under them.

Firefighters rescued the man and his wheelchair “within minutes,” but faced a few more difficulties in rescuing the 71-year-old woman.

IFD says crews worked for around 15 minutes to secure the woman before moving her onto a backboard.

After safely removing her from the collapsed deck, she was taken to a hospital for a check out.

IFD did not say what caused the deck collapse or provide an update on the man’s condition.

Wind advisory Wednesday, system this weekend | Nov. 26, 2025

Ryan’s 7 AM forecast 11/26

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A wind advisory includes all of central Indiana and northern Indiana for today until 7 PM ET.

TODAY: Wind gusts climb to 40+ mph in central Indiana, maybe 50+ mph in northern Indiana. Spotty flurries cannot be ruled out as well, especially north of I-70. Afternoon temperatures will hover in the upper 30s.

TONIGHT: Clouds will decrease. Winds will be gusting to 30+ mph mainly early on. Low temperatures in the mid-20s.

TOMORROW/THANKSGIVING: A cold turkey day can be anticipated. Winds will not be as gusty as Wednesday. High temperatures in the mid-30s with wind chill values in the 20s.

7-DAY FORECAST: A system is on the way this weekend that could bring both snow and rain to Indiana. The best chance of accumulation will be in northern Indiana with more fluctuations through central Indiana. We will narrow in more on snow totals as we get closer to the weekend, but it’s just too early to say because of the potential flip to rain.

Cold front brings snow flurries and gusty winds to central Indiana | Nov. 26, 2025

Marcus’ 4 a.m. Wednesday forecast

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — It’s a Storm Track 8 weather alert day with a wind advisory in effect from 7 AM to 7 PM Wednesday.

Sustained winds are expected to reach 20–30 mph, with gusts of 40–50 mph. With the wind direction coming out of the west and eventually northwest, travel could be rough on north/south roads, especially for high-profile vehicles.

Today:

Temperatures are falling into the upper 30s this morning and are expected to hold steady throughout the day. Flurries are possible for much of the area, mainly north of I-74, with a few snow showers possible in the far north and northeast, causing brief visibility drops.

Wind chills will remain in the low to mid 20s, and the day will be cloudy and sharply colder following an early-morning cold front.

Tonight:

Winds will ease slightly but remain brisk, with gusts between 15 and 20 mph. Lows will drop to the low to mid 20s, and wind chills could fall to the single digits in spots.

Thursday:

Thanksgiving Day will be sunny but cold, with highs in the 30s and breezy conditions resulting in wind chills in the 20s.

Friday:

Friday will be cold but quiet, with highs in the low to mid 30s, light winds, and sunshine, making it the best day of the holiday weekend.

Weekend storm system:

A new weather system is expected to arrive late Friday night into Saturday, bringing likely snow at the start with a light accumulating snowfall possible. Current trends suggest 1–2 inches north of I-70, with less than 1 inch south.

Saturday morning may see travel impacts from wet, slushy snow, but warmer air is expected to push in from the south during the afternoon and evening, transitioning the precipitation from snow to a mix and then to rain.

By early Sunday, most areas should experience mainly rain, with temperatures rising into the mid 30s to lower 40s early, then falling later in the day. A few light rain or snow showers are possible Sunday night.

7 day forecast:

Early next week is expected to be colder and wintry, with highs below freezing for many areas on Monday and Tuesday, and lows in the teens. Another system may bring a wintry mix or snow early next week, as early December looks cold, active, and unsettled.