INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — As of Tuesday afternoon, a mistrial has been declared for Toni McClure, the mother charged with murder in the death of her 5-year-old daughter, Kinsleigh Welty.
McClure, 31, was arrested and charged with murder, criminal confinement, and battery of a person under 14 following the girl’s death in April 2024.
Officials say McClure admitted to police that for several months she had been keeping her daughter locked in a closet in her mobile home and was extremely malnourished. Doctors say the girl weighed more at 2½ years old than she did when she died.
Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears told News 8 that a mistrial was declared “because of inappropriate communications between a juror and a witness.”
The first day of McClure’s trial was Monday, and some jurors visibly fought back tears as they viewed photos from the autopsy of a five-year-old girl. Jurors heard from the first police officer and firefighter on the scene, a detective, and a crime scene technician who processed the scene, and from the doctor who supervised Welty’s autopsy.
“This outcome derails months of preparation by the parties and delays justice for Kinsleigh and her loved ones. We remain committed to presenting this case again and securing the justice she deserves.” Mears said.
News 8’s Reporter Garrett Bergquist was in court on Monday: https://www.wishtv.com/news/murder-trial-toni-mcclure-kinsleigh-welty/
About The Author
You may also like
-
‘Literally the hub of our town’: Church becomes epicenter of Cambridge City relief effort
-
Kokomo drug bust: 40 arrested in Operation Butterball
-
Carmel warns of 90% chance major sewer line will collapse after flooding
-
Thomas Rhett concert at LIV Golf Indianapolis has been canceled
-
Gov. Braun seeks major disaster declaration as floods displace over 1,000, activates emergency funds
