Community

Indiana State Police arrests Aurora man for attempted murder

Aurora man charged with attempted murder

MADISON, Ind. (WISH) — A 46-year-old man from Aurora, Indiana, has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation by Indiana State Police (ISP).

Around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, troopers from the ISP Versailles Post, along with deputies from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and Ripley County Sheriff’s Office, responded to a crash on U.S. 421 near Michigan Road in northern Jefferson County, where the driver of a blue 1991 Chevrolet truck left the scene of the crash in the vehicle.

The investigation of the crash indicated that the driver of the truck, later identified as Larry W. Webster ll, 46, of Aurora, rear-ended a second vehicle while traveling northbound on U.S. 421. After the other driver exited his vehicle, Webster allegedly intentionally struck the vehicle a second time and also struck the other driver, who was standing next to the vehicle.

The driver of the second vehicle was injured and was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Responding officers found Webster’s vehicle abandoned on Old Michigan Road in southern Ripley County. Webster was found walking nearby. While taking Webster into custody, an altercation occurred, causing an ISP trooper to suffer injuries. The injured trooper was treated and released from a nearby hospital.

Webster was transported to Norton King’s Daughters Hospital in Madison before being transferred to a second hospital for additional evaluation and treatment. He was later released from the hospital and incarcerated in the Jefferson County Jail.

After a review of the investigation by the Jefferson County Prosecutor’s Office, a charge of attempted murder was officially filed in the Jefferson County Circuit Court Friday. Webster will face an initial appearance in court.

Additional charges may be coming in this case.

IMPD investigating fatal crash on Montcalm Street

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal crash on the city’s near northwest side.

Around 5:17 p.m. Saturday, IMPD officers responded to the 2200 block of Montcalm Street on a report of a possible fatal accident. Investigators confirmed this is a fatal crash and the IMPD fatal crash investigation team is at the scene.

This area will remain closed while officials investigate.

Investigators did not immediately provide any additional information on this incident.

This is a developing story.

Colts QB Daniel Jones, CB Charvarius Ward good to go for Chiefs game

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Colts final injury report ahead of Sunday’s game in Kansas City had nothing but positive news for Indy’s team.

Colts quarterback Daniel Jones is good to go with no injury designation after being limited in practice earlier this week with a fibula injury. Jones was a full participant in practice Friday.

“He just felt some discomfort and took a few reps off, and then we went back and reevaluated it,” head coach Shane Steichen said Friday. “He’ll be ready to go for Sunday.”

On the defensive side of the ball, cornerback Charvarius Ward will make his return from injured reserve against quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the lethal Chiefs offense. Ward missed the last five games due to a concussion after running into teammate Drew Ogletree during pregame warmups ahead of Week 6’s Cardinals game.

Ward joins Kenny Moore II and new addition Sauce Gardner in the secondary.

“It’s going to help a great ton,” Steichen said of Ward’s return. “I mean, when you get an elite player like that back at the corner spot, it’s huge. So, to have him and Sauce (Gardner) out there is going to be big for our defense this weekend.”

Defensive end Tyquan Lewis’ “questionable” designation was also removed on Saturday, indicating the edge rusher will play against the Chiefs. Lewis missed Wednesday’s practice with a groin injury but was able to get work in Thursday and Friday.

The Colts will need the help up front as defensive tackle DeForest Buckner remains on injured reserve with a neck injury. Buckner has to miss at least two more games before returning, but Steichen said Friday he’s optimistic Buckner will be back before the end of the regular season.

The Colts face the Chiefs in a pivotal AFC matchup Sunday at 1 p.m. Eastern. Tune in to Countdown to Kickoff as Sports Director Anthony Calhoun and crew break down all the major storylines ahead of the battle with the Chiefs, and remember to Switch to WISH immediately following the game for the Postgame Show with live coverage from Kansas City.

Lawsuit against Mark Sanchez includes parent company of St. Elmo Steak House

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – The civil lawsuit filed against former NFL quarterback Mark Sanchez over a drunken fight and stabbing in downtown Indianapolis now includes the parent company of St. Elmo Steak House

An amended complaint filed on Friday added Huse Culinary, Inc. as a defendant in the lawsuit for overserving alcohol to Sanchez, which “was a direct and proximate cause of Plaintiff’s injuries.”

According to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Sanchez attacked 69-year-old delivery driver Perry Tole outside the loading docks at the Westin Hotel on Oct. 4 while Sanchez was in town to cover a Colts game for Fox as an on-air analyst. 

Sanchez was stabbed and Tole suffered severe cuts to his face. Sanchez faces numerous charges from the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office, including felony battery

A police affidavit says that Sanchez smelled of alcohol after the incident. Tole told police Sanchez was slurring his words. Officers tried to speak with Sanchez at the hospital following the incident, but he said he did not know what happened.

Tole’s lawsuit seeks compensation for “physical injuries, disfigurement, medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, emotional distress, and other damages,” as well as attorney fees. 

According to the lawsuit, Sanchez was a guest at 127 S. Illinois Street, which is the address of Huse Culinary establishments St. Elmo Steak House and 1933 Lounge, and where Sanchez was “negligently sold, furnished, and/or served alcoholic beverages… that contributed to his intoxication and impairment.”

News 8 has reached out to Huse Culinary for comment and has not heard back by the publication of this article. Along with St. Elmo Steak House and 1933 Lounge, Huse Culinary operates Harry & Izzy’s and The HC Tavern + Kitchen.

Fox Corporation is also a named defendant in the lawsuit. Sanchez has since been fired from his position with Fox. 

A hearing in Sanchez’s criminal case is scheduled for Dec. 2.

Developer pulls plan to demolish 10 vacant homes in Stringtown

(MIRROR INDY) — A developer who owns nearly an entire block in the Stringtown neighborhood is withdrawing a request to demolish 10 vacant homes.

And it appears the developer, Indianapolis-based Brougher Developments LLC, is close to selling the properties to an unknown buyer.

Brougher owns around 30 properties on Saulcy and Astor streets. The company was asking for permission from the city to tear down the homes. A city planner recommended denying the request, and a public hearing on the plan had been delayed five times.

One neighborhood group, Stringtown Now, considers Brougher’s withdrawal a win. The group saw Brougher’s plans as part of a larger trend in Stringtown that would benefit real estate investors more than the people living there.

“I do feel a little bit of relief,” said Jessy Baum, who helped launch Stringtown Now.

The caveat, Baum said, is that a potential sale of the properties creates more questions.

On the commercial real estate website Crexi, a listing for the properties says they’re under contract — meaning there could be an accepted offer, but the sale isn’t final. As of Friday, Nov. 21, county records show Brougher as the owner.

Sam Brougher, the company’s president, could not be reached for comment.

Brougher did have some support in the neighborhood for the project.

Frank Staples, president of the Stringtown Neighborhood Association, wanted the homes demolished. He told Mirror Indy in October that the homes were beyond saving and had become a health hazard.

Staples did not respond to a request for comment for this article.

Mirror Indy, a nonprofit newsroom, is funded through grants and donations from individuals, foundations and organizations.

Mirror Indy reporter Tyler Fenwick covers housing and labor. Contact him at 317-766-1406 or tyler.fenwick@mirrorindy.org. Follow him on X @ty_fenwick and Bluesky @tyfenwick.bsky.social.

‘Pet Pals TV’: What holiday foods you can and can’t give your pets

Pet Pals TV: What holiday foods are safe for pets?

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Each and every week, “Pet Pals TV” shares a fun, interesting, and informative story about our-four legged and furry friend population.

On the latest “Pet Pals TV,” host Patty Spitler was joined by Tom Dock from Noah’s Animal Hospitals to discuss holiday celebrations and what foods you can and can’t share with your furry friends.

While many foods may be healthy for humans, some – like grapes – can be deadly to dogs.

Here’s a brief list of foods:

  • Grapes, raisins, prunes, etc.
  • Garlic.
  • Chocolates, including dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and more.
  • Turkey bones.

To hear more about what foods your pets should stay away from, watch the interview above.

Indiana family shares adoption journey during National Adoption Month

Adding to the family during National Adoption Month

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — November is National Adoption Month, and in Indiana, approximately 150 youths are legally free for adoption and in need of permanent families.

Kim and Andy Bales have embraced adoption after initially serving as foster parents. They decided to adopt to provide a stable and loving home for children who cannot reunify safely with their biological families.

“We prayed and waited a long time for someone like Conner to come into our lives and be a good fit,” Bales said Saturday on Daybreak.

The Bales family welcomed their son Conner into their home when he was just eight months old. The adoption process took about six months, and Conner was officially adopted in March of this year.

The transition to having a baby in the house was significant for the Bales, who also have two teenage children, aged 15 and 13. Despite the challenges, the family is delighted with their new addition.

“He’s so funny, and he just makes you laugh all the time, and he’s so sweet,” Kim Bales said. “We’ve got teenagers and now he’s just into everything and you’ve got to worry about naptime and diapers. It’s a pretty big change.”

Conner has brought joy and laughter to the family, with his playful nature and love for animals. He enjoys playing with the family dogs and has a particular fondness for cars and anything that moves.

“We have a little toy Dyson we got him. He thinks vacuuming is the coolest thing ever,” Bales added.

Before departing, she shared encouragement for other Hoosiers families who are considering adoption.

“I think you should definitely explore the options if it’s something within your heart. You don’t have to be a perfect parent. You just have to be willing and dedicated and a safe parent and provide love and stability for these children because they truly deserve it.”

Click here to learn more about the Indiana Adoption Program.

Family, community to remember life of Delaware County Corporal Blake Reynolds

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Friends, family, and members of the community will gather Saturday morning in Muncie to remember and celebrate the life of Delaware County Corporal Blake Reynolds.

Reynolds was killed Nov. 12 while trying to help a stranded motorist on I-69 near the Alexandria-Gaston exit for State Road 28.

He joined the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office four years ago after serving in the National Guard.

Reynolds is survived by his wife, Allison, his parents, grandparents, and a brother, along with aunts, uncles, and cousins.

At 8 a.m., the police escort accompanying Reynolds’ body arrived at Delta High School in Muncie, where the funeral is set to begin at 10 a.m.

A procession and final 10-42 call will follow before Reynolds is laid to rest at Jones Cemetery.

WISH-TV will have continuing coverage of the funeral services throughout the morning on air, online, and on the official WISH-TV Facebook page.

Related Coverage

No. 1 Purdue beats No. 15 Texas Tech in Baha Mar Championship

NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) — Oscar Cluff had 15 points and 15 rebounds as No. 1 Purdue remained unbeaten with an 86-56 win over No. 15 Texas Tech on Friday night in the final of the Baha Mar Championship.

Trey Kaufman-Renn had 12 points, Omer Mayer and Daniel Jacobsen each scored 11, and Fletcher Loyer, Braden Smith and CJ Cox had 10 points apiece for the Boilermakers (6-0).

JT Toppin led Texas Tech (4-2) with 15 points and eight rebounds, while Christian Anderson scored 13.

Texas Tech tied the score midway through the first half on a second-chance tipin from Toppin, but Purdue went on a 26-3 run to pull away for a 49-26 halftime lead. Loyer had eight points in the surge, highlighting it with back-to-back 3-pointers in the span of about 30 seconds.

During that decisive run from Purdue — in which the Boilermakers connected on nine straight field goals at one point — Texas Tech went scoreless for nearly seven minutes and turned the ball over four times.

Purdue led by 33 points in the second half. The Boilermakers also won the rebounding battle, 43-25.

Texas Tech is now 0-2 this season when it doesn’t hit double-digit 3-pointers, connecting on just 8 of 34 from deep against Purdue.

Purdue has now captured an in-season tournament title for five straight years.

The game was the first meeting between Purdue and Texas Tech since the Red Raiders beat the Boilermakers in the Sweet 16 of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Up next

Purdue: Eastern Illinois visits the Boilermakers next Friday night.

Texas Tech: The Red Raiders host New Orleans on Wednesday night.

Indiana Grown: The Lotion Company’s holiday scents

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Each and every Saturday, WISH-TV highlights a local company together with our partners at Indiana Grown.

This week, Morgan Gillentine with The Lotion Company joins News 8 at Daybreak!

The Lotion Company, a father-daughter small-batch skincare business based in Muncie, offers over 16 scents in their lotions and sugar scrubs, making them a perfect choice for holiday gifts. This year’s holiday scents include Brown Sugar, Pumpkin Roll, Sugar Cookie, and Perfectly Peppermint.

Their products can be purchased online through their website, thelotioncompany.com, as well as on TikTok shop and Amazon. For those who prefer in-person shopping, their products are available at Fresh Thyme, Niemann Harvest Market, and several small boutiques.

With a wide array of scents and multiple purchasing options, The Lotion Company is well-positioned to meet the needs of holiday shoppers looking for quality skincare gifts.

A holiday gift bag with three random travel-sized lotions is $18.99 at thelotioncompany.com. (Provided Photo/The Lotion Company)