Judge sentences 22-year-old to 55 years for fatal Mucky Duck bar shooting

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 22-year-old was sentenced to 55 years in prison for a fatal shooting last summer at the Mucky Duck bar on the south side of Indianapolis.

The sentence for Kaeden Douglas, of Indianapolis, includes 50 years for the murder of Jereme Dillingham, 28, and an additional five years for the use of a firearm in the crime. Judge James K. Snyder handed down the sentence Friday in Marion Superior Court 32.

The shooting happened at 1:35 a.m. July 17, 2025, at the Mucky Duck, 4425 S. Southport Road, located west of the I-65 interchange.

Witnesses told investigators that Douglas was highly intoxicated and repeatedly used racial slurs before a bouncer kicked him out of the business at 1:30 a.m.

Earlier that night, Dillingham had tried to break up a fight in the game room. Security footage showed the two men shaking hands and hugging before Douglas went to his car. However, a witness later heard Douglas screaming racial slurs at Dillingham in the parking lot. As Dillingham walked toward the car window, Douglas shot him and sped away. Bystanders tried to help Dillingham until first responders arrived.

Detective work led investigators to Douglas’ southeast side home, where they arrested him. While speaking with investigators, Douglas changed his story several times, initially claiming he did not remember being at the bar.

Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears said in a news release that prejudice and discrimination drove the violent crime. The Democrat prosecutor noted the community is no place for hate or racism and that hatred should never be the reason someone dies.

Mears also noted that the verdict helps the Dillingham family find justice, adding that the tragedy should serve as a wake-up call for the community to hold one another accountable.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *